[teacherartexchange] Art Clubs

---------

From: Michael Hyland (hyland5_at_TeacherArtExchange)
Date: Tue Nov 07 2006 - 19:15:43 PST

Hi:

Well, I'm going to do it - start a Middle School Art Club, that is. Never
having been in one or anything, I'm not sure how, exactly, to set it up. I've
searched online for ideas, without much success. Colleagues in other districts
have suggested having the kids take turns planning and teaching sessions, which
sounds like a possibility. I'm thinking we'll meet once a week, for an hour
after school. We'll try to make our own items for a couple of fundraisers, and
then probably use the $$ for a museum trip.

We're going to meet for about half an hour this Thurs., just to see how many
kids are interested, and hand out permission slips.

My questions:

What, besides permission to be part of the club, should the slip say?
(Something to let parents/guardians know that kids who goof off are done being
part of the club? Something to allow permission should we want to take a
walking field trip to a local artist's studio? - We have many artists in town,
so this is a possibility. Other things I should cover, like maybe, assurance
that students will be picked up on time after the club? Some of our parents are
notorious for being late to pick up kids, and the teacher ends up staying
forever.)

Suggestions for activities that might be feasible for MS students? (My flier
said we'd do activities that are not part of our regular art curriculum). At
present we have no budget, or art club specific supplies, but as a fairly
good "hoarder", I think I can come up with some materials to use that I don't
really need for my regular curriculum. I've got a fair amount of wire and
beads, and thought maybe we could make some jewelry for a fundraiser, and also,
maybe do face painting before home basketball games.

Any thing else I need to think about? I'm thinking if I get a TON of kids, I
might even do 2 groups, alternating weeks - 5-6 one week, 7-8, the next, etc.
Or, maybe get parent helpers, if possible.

One thing I've heard suggested is to have an application for admission to the
club. I'm not sure I'm in favor of this - I can see all kinds of parent
objections if their kid doesn't get in. But maybe someone can enlighten me
about this.

Thanks for any suggestions.

Deb