RE: [teacherartexchange] paint clean up

---------

Laura.Drietz_at_TeacherArtExchange
Date: Tue Nov 07 2006 - 13:51:25 PST

A teacher I student taught with (at the elementary level) had buckets of
water at each table for the kids to do initial brush rinsing in. Then
she had them put them in a wash basin in the sink. At the end of class
she would spray the brushes off with a sprayer until the water was
clean, then lay the brushes out to dry.

I was mean a couple of years ago. I sent a note home to parents saying
I'd demonstrated proper brush cleaning techniques to their child, and
that I had a rule for checking if brushes were clean...they had to wipe
them off on their pants. I also included how to get our tempera paints
out in the wash, and asked the parents to talk to their child if they
came home with streaks of paint in their pants. I didn't have one single
upset parent, and had the cleanest brushes ever those two years. But my
patience for it wore out, and I just found it easier to re-wash brushes
in bulk when we did major painting projects.

Laura Drietz
Art Teacher
Brookings Middle School
E-mail laura.drietz@k12.sd.us