Re: [teacherartexchange] brother question

---------

From: Betty B (bettycarol_40_at_TeacherArtExchange)
Date: Mon Nov 06 2006 - 08:39:06 PST

One of my beloved former students, who is now in high
school, recently came out, and his normally adoring
younger brother has turned on him like a rabid
ferrett. I have no idea how his family is handling the
situation, or how supportive they are being of the gay
son, but this younger brother is failing most of his
classes, and started some very homophobic talk in my
class, or was, I think I have that stopped. His mom
wants to know how he is doing in my class, which he
was failing at one point.

So, I'm just having a momentary lapse of confidence -
searching for wording - does anybody have any advice
for how I, not knowing how she is handling this,
express my concern that the younger brother is not
being helped through this process adequately? I mean,
I think it is clear it isn't being dealt with. Anyway,
just checking for advice before jumping in.