Re: Re: [teacherartexchange] art ed association conference question

---------

rpopek_at_TeacherArtExchange
Date: Sun Nov 05 2006 - 14:46:39 PST

Our state conference(Massachusetts) hands out certificates at the end of the conference for all the workshops that you take. We need 180 hours of professional development points in 5 years. 80 of those hours need to be in art.(if your an art teacher) The other hours can be whatever we can get through the school or teaching college courses etc. We now have to recertify every 5 years. Most workshops are about 6 hours of points. Graduate courses average between 27 and 60 points a course.
We need to have at least one graduate course in each recertification period as well. And when you begin teaching in this state and you have your bachelors you need to have you masters in five years after you begin in a public school system. It makes sense to have it because our pay scale is based on a masters anyway. Although recently in the news I heard that the Department of Education is thinking of getting rid of the masters requirement. Not sure what the reasoning is but you never know with them anyway they do things on a whim with no rhyme or reason.
Renee