Re: [teacherartexchange] art quote feedback

---------

From: M. Austin (whest177_at_TeacherArtExchange)
Date: Sun Nov 05 2006 - 14:38:26 PST

We discuss on this list all the time how the arts teach every subject, so
why not include everything taught with the lesson, not focusing just on the
"art" part. I feel like if it is important enough to be taught in the
classroom then why not put that in your displays. I didn't realize that
other teachers did read my display posters until one day, out of the blue,
our middle school math teacher asked if he could borrow some of my examples
and if I could include what math concepts I taught with those lessons. I was
the only teacher in our district that he "knew" integrated my curriculum. We
discussed how even many elementary teachers struggle with integration - many
don't feel like they've taught critical reading skills if they do it during
science. Yes, art should be the main focus, but if you are going to teach it
you must feel it is worthy knowledge the student should know. That's my .02
anyways!
~Michal
K-12 Kansas Art Teacher
http://www.geocities.com/theartkids