Re: [teacherartexchange] sub plans

---------

From: Woody Duncan (woodyduncan_at_TeacherArtExchange)
Date: Sat Nov 04 2006 - 12:10:40 PST

Vickie,
        It may be too late for suggestions, but here goes. If your students
have been exposed to
a number of vocabulary words over the time you have had them, I would
suggest they do
word designs. You need a lesson that is both valuable and enjoyable
for the students.
You also need a lesson that is easy for the sub to manage. Too bad
you don't have time
to explain your expectations to your students prior to your absence.
        I would put up posters with all of the vocabulary words or have a
class set of handouts
with words and definitions. A couple of samples on display would
help. have students do
lettering (using shaped letters) for the word. Ideally make the word
illustrate what it means.
Vertical, Horizontal, Transparent, Opaque, Negative, Positive, Color
Wheel, etc. etc.
Most kids can do bubble letters with overlapping even if they can't
figure out how to mimic the
meaning of the word in the design.
        I'd have a large stack of long cut paper strips, perhaps 18 x 4
inches. I'd just cut up
18 x 24 inch drawing paper if you don't have scraps already. Have
students begin in pencil
and have markers and crayons available. Be sure they put their name
on the back of the designs.
The sub should be instructed to tape up several from every class to
build pride and motivate
the next classes. By day three the students should be prodded to
critique the designs,
explaining the meaning of the terms as they discuss the work.
        Here is an example from when they made the art teacher (me) teach
reading, so these
are not art words in the showcases.
http://kancrn.kckps.k12.ks.us/rosedale/WallOfWords.html
                                                Good Luck, Woody

On Nov 4, 2006, at 9:25 AM, <vranck@bellsouth.net> wrote:

> Hello all, again,
> My brain is on the fritz. I teach middle school, 6th and 8th right
> now. I will actually be out Monday,
> Wednesday and Thursday. (we're out for vet. day on Friday) A sub
> took the job that see classroom
> management as writing the whole class up for a couple
> misbehaving...Anyway, Julie reminded me to
> look on IAD, duh, I knew that, but if anyone has an idea that is
> just really cool, please send it. I want the
> kids to enjoy art while I'm gone.
> Thanks,
> Vicki

Woody, Retired in Albuquerque