Re: [teacherartexchange] a question

---------

From: Ken Schwab (bicyclken_at_TeacherArtExchange)
Date: Fri Nov 03 2006 - 16:03:17 PST

The idea that the student can be creative without demonstrations is a fine idea and it may work with more advanced students. However, if a student is starting out and you are trying to teach skills, procedures, or how to master observational drawing without knowing what to look for, it can be very frustrating. I feel that a student becomes very creative when they are knowledgeable about basic skills like gradations of value, how light hits an object and how to achieve textures, then let them loose in creating drawings.

The student can be creative and not be able to see that creativity materialize with out a good foundation. I demonstrate the tools needed, skills to be used and procedures for a task. They come up with the solutions to the problem but they are able to create because they know how to use the materials, tools and follow the steps that it will take to see that creative thought materialize.

Ken Schwab
San Jose, CA