Re: [teacherartexchange] filling downtime photo and photoshop

---------

From: Patricia Knott (pknott_at_TeacherArtExchange)
Date: Thu Nov 02 2006 - 15:32:05 PST

As a long time photo teacher I really appreciate the pages Marvin has
created. And, I can't agree more that it's UPTIME.

I have found that when photo students are given lots of resources to
LOOK at photos they generate their own discussions. I have a library
of hundreds of books and magazines for them to peruse. I give them
'things " to look for and worksheets to write about what they are
looking for, but I really enjoy the "talk" I hear from them,
especially when they come across historical photos.
If you have no such resources I strongly suggest you subscribe to B&W
magazine. It's filled with high quality images that can generate
all kinds of discussions.

All my photo classes are divided into those in the darkroom and those
out. For those out, I may be teaching a new technique or providing
centers for their own discovery.---
      small group critique on their own and historical photos
      Photographer of the week - provide a photographer with a
brief biography and examples of work and have the kids comment.
     Photo history timeline - provide years and have them research
to create a time line to display around the room
     hand coloring and toning centers
     pick the student photographer of the week -- that makes them
look at their peer work and use critical judgement to select a "good
one" with justification to be selected
      what will I photograph center? -- I have made a handout
about all the best places around where we live to gtt great photo
opts. Give them the opportunity to add to the list.
      create a "photo swat team" -- kids that understand processes
and techniques. Give them the responsibility for helping and
instructing those have trouble. The thing I love most about photo
is the group cooperation. I see kids all the time helping those that
"don't get it." Create assistants.
      I always have kids that are "natural" mechanics. They love
fixing things. I let them fix and give credit for understanding
that part of photo is technical difficulties. ( i.e. I always
have a student who can fix enlarger problems or build pinhole cameras
or assemble equipment I don't have time to do)

I revel and relish in what my photos students make in the darkroom.
But I equally marvel in the revelations they make about great photos
presented to them. Photo is much more than process.

Just a few thoughts,
Patty