RE: [teacherartexchange] a question

---------

From: Shannon McGraw (smcgraw_at_TeacherArtExchange)
Date: Thu Nov 02 2006 - 13:11:53 PST

You're funny, Woody!

-----Original Message-----
From: Woody Duncan [mailto:woodyduncan@comcast.net]
Sent: Thursday, November 02, 2006 2:46 PM
To: TeacherArtExchange Discussion Group
Subject: Re: [teacherartexchange] a question

Renee,
        Yes it makes a difference and you are considering the right
questions. Some teachers never show
students their own art. I think that is extreme but I understand. As
for examples of where you want the
students to go, I'd suggest trying to have past student work if
possible. But still put it away so you don't
get copies. If possible show examples of how several past students
took the assignment in different
directions. Students need to understand that in art coming up with
different answers is not only OK, but
it's the best solution. Praise your students as they find their own
ways. Point out unique solutions as
they pop up in class. Ask the other students if they can find even
more different ways to approach
the problem. But, "templates", please no.....those are for crafts
classes. My wife makes quilts and she
uses templates. I wish she were more original, but she never had an
art teacher. She went to
Catholic school.
                                                                I still
love her, Woody

On Nov 2, 2006, at 12:42 PM, <rpopek@verizon.net> wrote:

> Thank you all for the professional development ideas. It's given me
> something to think about before our next meeting.
>
> I have another topic that might promote some interesting
> discussion. I teach grade 1-5. My colleague in this building was a
> graphic artist and later became an art educator. She makes a sample
> project of each lesson finished as do I. But being a graphic artist
> or perhaps it's just the way she is, her samples are always (for
> lack of a better word,) immaculate. They are neat precise and all
> in all perfect and beautiful. I admire her discipline and am a bit
> envious at times. My samples on the other hand are fairly simple
> and I don't get too elaborate. My student teacher and I were
> discussing this difference. I have noticed that should I leave a
> sample up after presenting the lesson I'd often get 25 carbon
> copies of my own. So I don't often finish what I display so that
> the kids can come to ideas on their own. And I often put the sample
> away with the younger ones so they have to use their imaginations.
> One example of our differences would be we did 3-D van Gogh bed
> rooms and I showed them how to make the room and the bed.
> Decorating the walls and making chairs, plants, televisions etc had
> to come from them. I gave lots of materials to work with. My
> Colleague on the other hand made templates for tables, chairs, beds
> and dressers. I was of the opinion that it's better if the kids
> can think out how to make the accessories it gets them planning and
> experimenting with how to make an accessory. Also when faced with a
> sample that's perfect they may become discouraged simply because
> they don't have the ability to produce art work at this level as of
> yet or will they strive to get theirs as neat as the sample. Of
> course this was all speculation on my and my student teachers part.
> I don't know if it even makes a difference. Any one have any
> insight on this or does it make a difference at all?
>
> Renee

Woody, Retired in Albuquerque
         mailto:woodyduncan@comcast.net

35 Quality Middle School Art Lessons
Ordering Address: PO Box 91703
Albuquerque, NM 87199-1703

of your artwork that soars." from: "Art & Fear"

Woody's Watercolor Portfolio:
Newest Fantastic Triplet Pics:
My newest watercolors: