Re: [teacherartexchange] Internation baccalaureate art

---------

From: Peggy Woolsey (eoolspeg_at_TeacherArtExchange)
Date: Wed Nov 01 2006 - 12:23:54 PST

Hi Susan,
I brought AP Studio Art to my province (New Brunswick, taught it for
several years, and I have been an evaluator for IB Art for several
years. There are plusses and minuses to both programs, for sure. AP
is very product oriented, while a large part of the IB program
involves keeping visual journals and working out process. The AP work
gets sent away for evaluation, while the IB students display and
present their work to the evaluator and there can be a good back and
forth discussion of the work. AP does not give much feedback beyond
the score. IB is a little better for feedback as the evaluator must
submit it to the individual schools. I think schools choose between
the two programs for many different reasons.
Peggy