[teacherartexchange] mistakes

---------

From: MERRILEE GLADKOSKY (gladrag_at_TeacherArtExchange)
Date: Wed Nov 01 2006 - 06:37:00 PST

     If I'm teaching a specific concept there can be a
mistake, an error, a wrong guess....such as, if I have
asked
kids to use 2 complementary colors in a design and
they have used three colors or mistaken complementary
colors, we can use that error to teach from, point out
the expectations and why. This is an opportunity for
learning. It can also be an opportunity to evaluate a
student's understanding. There is often a measurable
element to art and some of us have to grapple with
this as observable and measurable evaluation of
student learning and teacher teaching. This helps me
know when a concept has not been well explained or
when I need to "put it another way", approach a
different learning style, etc..
     In a creative process I often find that the "I
made a mistake" comment may mean something more like
"I can't make it the way I want to." It may mean "I
don't know how to get what's in my head onto the
paper," or "I don't like where this line was placed,"
or "how this media worked". If it is that a student
is unhappy with how something looks I have found that
it really matters to take time and talk about why.
This is a great opportunity for teaching and learning.
 "Tell me what you think is a mistake," or "Why don't
you like it?"

Just a thought from many years of doing this.
Merrilee, in CT