[teacherartexchange] Nicholas Jones - Sculptural Altered Books (link)

---------

From: Judy Decker (judy.decker_at_TeacherArtExchange)
Date: Mon Nov 28 2005 - 06:03:49 PST

Greetings Art Educators,

I know that this link has been shared in the past. I'm not sure I
added it to the altered book lesson plan. You and your students might
be interested in viewing these sculptural altered books by Nicholas
Jones (Australia):
http://www.spacement.com.au/artist.php?id=42
Link was posted to the Altered Book list.

The folded books remind me of those Reader's Digest Christmas trees
that were all the rage in the 1960s. My mom made them with the Boy
Scout troop (I think they made them to decorate a nursing home).

I was curious... Here is one "how to" for a Reader's Digest tree:
http://www.rd.com/content/openContent.do?contentId=19258
These are folded differently - I guess because the magazine is thinner now.
Here is another - still not the fold that was used by the Scouts/my mom:
http://www.creativekidsathome.com/activities/activity_67.shtml
The fold my mom used had every other page folded to make the branches
of the tree - the other fold made the trunk of the tree. Those were
the days when the magazines were thicker.

Old phone books and catalogs could also be used.

My apologies to Nicholas for putting his art in the same post with the
tree craft (smile). His folded books are much more interesting.

Regards,

Judy Decker
Incredible Art Department
http://www.princetonol.com/groups/iad/