[teacherartexchange] photo transfers advice

---------

From: Pam Wellington (loveart_at_TeacherArtExchange)
Date: Wed Nov 23 2005 - 07:05:13 PST

Hi everyone. I thought you would want to hear from the queen of transfers.
I'm the one that posted the lesson plan. I just wanted to address the
comments below:

* You do not have to wait a whole day to peel. Depending upon how dry the
air is in the room you are working, it could be ready to peel in 5 minutes,
or as long as 30. Just very carefully pull up a corner that doesn't have
anything really important. If there is no ink left on the paper and the ink
is totally transfered onto the canvas, then you are ready to peel
everything. One reason I can think of for it taking so long to dry is
simply too much medium or too much water. Make sure you are squeegie-ing
the excess medium out. I use a plastic squeegie tool, but a piece of stiff
cardboard will work. Just GENTLY press from the center of the transfer out
to the edges to press out excess glue and swipe off with a damp sponge or
cloth. Make sure you are not adding water to the paper.

* I have never had a problem with any photo copy I have ever used. Any
photo copier works. Any surface with any sort of ink will transfer. It's
not a lost art yet!

*I see no need to use anything toxic with this process. Since toxic fumes
are such an issue in public school art rooms, there simply is no need for
things like turpentine or nail polish remover. Simple old acrylic medium
and a good dose of patience does it every time and on any sort of surface.
I hope this helps.
Pam Wellington
Dept. Chair, Boiling Springs H.S., Boiling Springs, PA
loveart@hotmail.com
Subject: Re: xerox to canvas transfers

*Most of the time when I've
had crappy results, it was from getting impatient and trying to peel
the paper off too early. You have to let it sit for at least the good
part of a day before you try and peel.

*I think everything used to work with the old copiers--and I find that =
pretty much
nothing works with the new ones. I think it's a lost art

*Have you tried nail polish remover?