[teacherartexchange] The Educator's Guide to Copyright and Fair Use (Jan H - hope you see this)

---------

From: Judy Decker (judy.decker_at_TeacherArtExchange)
Date: Wed Nov 23 2005 - 06:10:45 PST

Greetings Art Educators,

Copyright questions come up all the time on the art ed lists....
This Quiz was posted again to the Ed Tech list - it is a good one
-PLUS there is a great Fair Use chart that you can print off (pdf file
- link at bottom of page).

The Educator's Guide to Copyright and Fair Use by Hall Davidson
http://www.techlearning.com/db_area/archives/TL/2002/10/copyright.html

Answers to Jan H - RE: Use of Disney Characters in performance.

Yes, Jan, Disney strictly prohibits the use of their characters
without some expensive licensing agreement. BUT there is NOTHING that
says you can not create your own cartoon-like stage set....your own
cartoon-like characters. The kids could make some cartoon animal masks
(some cartoon faces held on a stick - or something like that). Don't
show them anything Disney to look at. Disney does not hold the
copyright on a cartoon mouse - just Mickey and Minnie. Disney can not
challenge this.

I can help you brainstorm more if you need help. I just forgot to
answer your question the other day. I could give you more advice if I
knew what songs they were singing. You could create the large house
facades that I described in a previous Art Education post. Outline
them with a wide black marker (one of those they make for sign
making). - Make the houses bright colors - that would look
cartoon-like. Create a "village" of these house fronts - You could
glue them to refrigerator boxes and set around the stage.

Include in the program: "Disney characters are copyrighted. Any
resemblance our characters have to the Disney characters is purely
coincidental. These characters and set design come from the
imagination of children. Disney cartoons were not used as a
reference."... or something to that effect... you get what I mean.

Regards,

Judy Decker
Incredible Art Department
http://www.princetonol.com/groups/iad/