Find Lesson Plans on! GettyGames

[teacherartexchange] Teaching Cultural Diversity - Celebrations

From: Judy Decker (judy.decker_at_TeacherArtExchange)
Date: Tue Nov 22 2005 - 05:05:39 PST

Greetings Art Educators,

Here are some lesson ideas for kindergarten (adaptable to higher
grade) for teaching cultural diversity through celebrations. I would
add on some other celebrations too:

Here is a WebQuest for Winter Celebrations (I haven't checked out any
of their links):

This book might be good.
Celebrations Around the World: Multicultural Handbook

Lights of Winter: Winter Celebrations Around the World

Festivals of Light:

Winter Celebrations:

It would be so "do-able" for you to work interdisciplinary with the
classroom teacher in coming up with meaningful activities to teach a
little about these celebrations.

If children do not learn respect for other religions/beliefs at school
where will they learn it? You have the power to make change. Make
understanding beliefs part of your curriculum (it was a part of mine
and was written in curriculum guide - I hope it is still there - I do
know it is still part of social studies curriculum).

Judy Decker
Incredible Art Department
Incredible Art Resources

To unsubscribe go to