[teacherartexchange] Teaching Cultural Diversity - Celebrations

---------

From: Judy Decker (judy.decker_at_TeacherArtExchange)
Date: Tue Nov 22 2005 - 05:05:39 PST

Greetings Art Educators,

Here are some lesson ideas for kindergarten (adaptable to higher
grade) for teaching cultural diversity through celebrations. I would
add on some other celebrations too:
http://teacher.scholastic.com/lessonplans/unit_everybodycelebrates.htm

Here is a WebQuest for Winter Celebrations (I haven't checked out any
of their links):
http://aldertrootes.wcpss.net/winterholidays.html

This book might be good.
Celebrations Around the World: Multicultural Handbook
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/1555919456/102-1845111-2602515?v=glance&n=283155&v=glance

Lights of Winter: Winter Celebrations Around the World
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/0971242518/102-1845111-2602515?v=glance&n=283155&v=glance

Festivals of Light:
http://www.everythingesl.net/lessons/light_festivals.php

Winter Celebrations:
http://www.everythingesl.net/lessons/wintercelebrations.php

It would be so "do-able" for you to work interdisciplinary with the
classroom teacher in coming up with meaningful activities to teach a
little about these celebrations.

If children do not learn respect for other religions/beliefs at school
where will they learn it? You have the power to make change. Make
understanding beliefs part of your curriculum (it was a part of mine
and was written in curriculum guide - I hope it is still there - I do
know it is still part of social studies curriculum).

Regards,

Judy Decker
Incredible Art Department
http://www.princetonol.com/groups/iad/