Re: [teacherartexchange] clay cleanup help & carpet

---------

From: Marvin Bartel (marvinpb_at_TeacherArtExchange)
Date: Mon Nov 21 2005 - 11:01:03 PST

> >> This is the first year we've offered ceramics . . . we still have so much
>>> dust that I leave footprints wherever I go. . . . Any ideas?
> >> diane
>
>This will be my first year also...and the room I will be using has believe it or not indoor/outdoor carpeting. It is a modular unit separate from the main bldg. . . . In this large room we have computers at the other end of the 44 feet with tables and drawing in the middle. Ceramics has a table near the water on the opposite wall.
>
>My question is what kind of clean up will I need to be aware of with the carpet?
>
>Kristina

Your administration will not like this recommendation. The only safe solution is to rip up the carpet at least in the clay half of the room, but preferably in the whole room. If they cannot afford to put down a smooth washable flooring, get a floor sander, smooth the sub-floor (probably oriented strand board), and seal it with several coats of garage or porch floor paint.

VACUUMING ISSUES
Typical vacuum cleaners pass the smallest particles (the ones that settle in the lungs) through the filter and into the air where it remains airborne up to 4 days unless the vacuum cleaner is located outside. Only the vacuum pipes and hoses may be inside.

CARPET ISSUES
Even if a vacuum can be designed to be safe, carpeting is still a problem. No amount of vacuuming removes all the clay dust from carpet. When carpet is vacuumed in a clay room, wet or dry, clay from the bottom comes to the surface, but some remains on the surface. Once dry, the dust is stirred into the air from normal walking.

Sorry, I have not heard of a safer or better solution than ripping the carpet out.

Marvin