[teacherartexchange] Traditional Turkish Shadow Puppets - site

---------

From: Judy Decker (judy.decker_at_TeacherArtExchange)
Date: Mon Nov 21 2005 - 05:51:12 PST

Greetings Art Educators,

Here is a link request that I thought I would share with you. I will
be adding to my Puppetry links page (in time).

Traditional Turkish Shadow Puppet Play
http://www.karagoz.net/english/shadowplay.htm

Site is translated into several languages:
http://www.karagoz.net/

Four Traditions of Theater in Turkey

"Theatrical art in Turkey is currently believed to have developed from
the same religious, moral and educational urge to imitate human
actions that accompanied its growth in other countries, particularly
in ancient Greece. The shadow play, which involves two-dimensional
figures casting its shadow on a two-dimensional area of screen, had an
important place in Turkey as well as throughout the larger area of the
Ottoman Empire. To understand its place let us glance at four main
traditions of theatre in Turkey. These are the "folk theatre
tradition", the "popular theatre tradition", the "court theatre
tradition", and the "western theatre tradition". In order to
understand the significance of Turkish shadow puppet play, these
deserve special brief study."

Note: The site is right click protected - but if you save the page you
can grab text and images (like I did - I saved the html file so I
could copy the text above).
I will tell the person who asked to be linked that art teachers need
to be able to use text and images in their presentations. If he
doesn't agree, I will not link.

Hello to my friends on World Art Teachers list. It would be great to
hear from you sometime (on the list).

Regards,

Judy Decker
Incredible Art Department