Re: [teacherartexchange] clay cleanup help

---------

From: Marvin Bartel (marvinpb_at_TeacherArtExchange)
Date: Sun Nov 20 2005 - 19:57:31 PST

>Hi Marvin,
>
>Great suggestions and solid information on working with clay and the dust that
>inevitably comes with working with this most wonderful material. Would it be
>possible to lightly spray the clay dust remaining on the floor with water and
>then use the wet/dry vacuum to suck up the remaining clay water mixture?
>. . . .
>Diane

It is hard to say for sure. I think a wet/dry vacuum would be safe so long as enough water is on the floor so you are vacuuming a liquid rather than slightly damp materials. If it dries from the air flow, some dust may pass through the filter. The finer particles that pass through vacuum filters are the particles that are also too fine to cough up and expel from the lungs. If the filter gets dry, I would wash the clay out of the filter prior to the next use. Wet mopping is an option if nothing else is practical.

Marvin