Re: [teacherartexchange] clay cleanup help

---------

From: Maggie White (mwhiteaz_at_TeacherArtExchange)
Date: Sun Nov 20 2005 - 19:48:58 PST

I used to teach HS, not MS, but your students ought to be able to mop
the floor themselves. My janitor hardly had time to empty the trash and
get the floor swept in the main part of the classroom, much less clean
the clay area. I made it very clear to the students at the beginning of
the clay unit that the area had to be WET-cleaned EVERY day, and that
included mopping. I had a simple chart and rotated the cleaning chores
each day. Of course, there were some complaints (that's a teenager's
job, after all), but actually, they understood that without this
cooperation, the clay unit would end, and the chores got done. The head
custodian, who I was pals with, got me an old mop and bucket to use.

Maggie