Re: [teacherartexchange] clay cleanup help

---------

From: M. Austin (whest177_at_TeacherArtExchange)
Date: Sun Nov 20 2005 - 08:15:30 PST

Because I teach several different type classes in my room (one class may be
drawing, one on computers, one class painting, etc) that when I do clay with
a class I have them clean up as best they can on their own. I purchase big
rolls of butcher block paper (like they use on bulletin boards) and cut
large squares for students to work on. We reuse them for several classes,
and when they start to tear or get chunks of clay on them the students throw
them away and get a clean sheet. At the end of class students wipe down
their tables with a damp sponge. We don't sand our pots anymore at the
bonedry stage due to dust. I started making them spend more time on their
projects when they are leatherhard, and the added bonus is less breakage.
When I am working with clay the custodians do mop my floor daily, but the
less dust we make the easier it is to keep the room clean.
~Michal
K-12 Kansas Art Teacher
http://www.geocities.com/theartkids