[teacherartexchange] Art therapy question

---------

From: M. Austin (whest177_at_TeacherArtExchange)
Date: Sat Nov 19 2005 - 13:37:21 PST

Having lost both a very close friend and my sister this way my suggestion is
to NOT talk about it, but to allow the students to talk if they feel the
need. Do something fun (clay is an excellent idea!) that will help them not
dwell on the incident. Because of the age of the students, and the fact that
the students will have had counselors (I would hope anyways!) available on
Monday it will be better for them to get back into some semblance of a
routine. I don't think I would allow free choice - structure will be more
calming to them. Maybe have them create a pinch pot, and then embellish it.
Unless the project you were planning to do deals with tough issues then that
would be a good idea as well. It's tough to lose them - I'll be thinking of
you.
~Michal
K-12 Kansas Art Teacher
http://www.geocities.com/theartkids