[teacherartexchange] Art therapy question

---------

From: Carol K. (chudrlik_at_TeacherArtExchange)
Date: Sat Nov 19 2005 - 13:12:23 PST

Hi everyone.

I just received devastating news that one of my 4th grade students
took his life (possibly by accident). I'm so stunned. It just
breaks my heart and I can't imagine how his classmates will take the
news. I teach at several schools and when I come to this school on
Tuesday the students will already know.
My question is this - I do not have a background in art therapy but I
am wondering if I should postpone the project we have been working on
so that we could do something that might be a little more therapeutic
for them (without necessarily telling them that that's why we are
postponing it). Perhaps some free drawing or clay meditation.... Or
maybe just sticking to the planned project would be good for their
sense of stability.
Any thoughts?

-Carol