[teacherartexchange] Working with iMovie

---------

From: Mary Hensler (mhensler_at_TeacherArtExchange)
Date: Fri Nov 18 2005 - 14:49:16 PST

Lauren,

If you created your animations in the drawing part of Appleworks, you
should be able to save each drawing as a .jpeg and then import it
directly into iMovie. Open one presentation and go to File > Save As.
When the dialog box opens at the bottom is a scroll down menu beneath
where is says "File Format>" Scroll down and if you see an option listed
as JPEG, just select it.

However, if you created your presentations as a word document or .cwk
document, you do not have the option to save it as a .jpeg ? you can
only save it as a word document file and you will not see JPEG as an
option. A .jpeg is a file format which can be imported into iMovie. On a
PC you will see the .jpeg at the end of a file name.

So if you are able to save each of the student's drawings as a JPEG, you
can then import them into iMovie. I suggest saving all the JPEGs into a
file folder on the desktop, then open iMovie and select File >Import and
select that file and all of the JPEGs will then be imported into iMovie.
After you import them into iMovie you can then make titles and add sound
which will really make your animations come to life. You can find all
kinds of off sounds and on the Internet.

When you are ready to save you can export them as a Quicktime movie (in
several screen sizes) which you can post on a web page, burn to a CD or
even email. Quicktime is a universal format which is recognized by both
Mac and PCs. When you have your movie completed, just select File >
Share and try out the different options. You can save it as a small
screen which takes less memory to run or you can export as a full screen
which takes time to download and more memory to run. It all depends upon
what you want. But you should be able to email it home to all the
parents or post to a the school's web page. I have even done the same
thing with iPhoto which has an easier interface, but it also can be used
to create small animations very easily and can also be exported as
Quicktime movies. Just play with it; I was able to figure it with only
the program's Help for assistance the first time I made one, or better
yet ask the students, I bet they have it figured it out already.

By the way what age group are you working with? I love my Mac lab also,
but I teach in high school and now have all the software (Macromedia
Suite and Adobe Creative Suite and Maya), but for simple stuff we still
use iPhoto and iMovie and the students love working with them to make
easy slide shows and movies for their web pages.

Good luck, and congratulations for trying to tackle this all by
yourself! Email me directly if you are still lost.

Mary Hensler
Art & Technology
Sherman High School
Sherman, Texas 75090