Re:[teacherartexchange] Lesson Planning Software

---------

From: Ann Ayers (art304_at_TeacherArtExchange)
Date: Fri Nov 18 2005 - 06:57:35 PST

> I did not see space for lists of materials, vocabulary,
> and procedures plus the important evaluation tools most
> districts require. Perhaps the space is there and I didn't
> see it. The basic plans most districts except are next to
> worthless.

The toolkit HAS a space for what I call is "the meat" of the lesson -
elements of art, principles of design, objectives, vocabulary,
materials, procedure, preparation, resources, assessment, reflection
- as well as the things that are required by most districts -
essential question, standards, benchmarks, ESOL/ESE strategies,
technology standards, technology use, software, character traits,
related math and communication testing skills, web resources, etc.
Within the toolkit is a way to make two different types of rubrics
for each of the lessons.
I have spent years tweeking this sofware to include EVERYTHING that
is REQUIRED and EVERYTHING that art educators WANT. It is pretty
comprehensive.

> Do you import the state standards and benchmarks or just
> use the nationals ? In your one example (grade 9) it relates
> to mixing purple ? Shouldn't that be in the 2nd grade ?

We customize every toolkit to include the appropriate State standards
and benchmarks, and the appropriate grade level that is requested -
the example on the website is just that - a sample. Yes, you teach
color mixing in 2nd grade, but I also teach color mixing in 9th
grade, 10th grade, and so on - you'd be surprised at how many
beginning art students do not remember how to mix secondary colors -
many have not had art since elementary school and they conveniently
"forget" what they learned there. Some may not have even had art
ever (there are some elementary schools that have cut their art
programs to accomodate more "core" subjects and the state testing
assessments. This was just an EXAMPLE.
> Also, the concern about the busy background might be
> handled by lightening it considerably. I do that with the
> backgrounds on my web pages.
> Woody

The backgrounds are there at the request of art educators who wanted
"real" visuals on THEIR toolkit - the backgrounds do NOT interfere
with data entry.
Teachers can choose the print the screen where they enter data, or
they can choose from 3 different printing formats that have "light"
backgrounds (mainly black and white). Teachers can also print a
parent handout and a student handout from within the program, as well
as print either of the illustrations that they attach to their
lessons, and print the rubrics as well.

You can reference files on your computer so that when you look at a
lesson plan, you can open up a corresponding handout, etc. without
having to search your harddrive.

The toolkit has a component for creating curriculum maps (some
districts do this), and for storing worksheets, handouts, etc.
Included in the toolkit are 60+ lesson plans which you may use or
delete.

Everyone who purchased the software has been pleased - no complaints
so far!

My principal was so impressed that she asked me to create toolkits
for each curricular area in the school - so now, I have english,
math, social studies, foreign language, business tech, pe, music,
etc. toolkits!

If you have any questions, let me know.
ann