Re: [teacherartexchange] making drums

---------

From: Maggie White (mwhiteaz_at_TeacherArtExchange)
Date: Mon Nov 14 2005 - 15:50:33 PST

Hi, Jeannette,

I taught on an Apache reservation for a long time. They use metal
cooking pots for their drums. They stretch a dampened deerhide over the
pot, then tie it around the circumference of the pot with a wet strip of
leather. When the leather dries, it tightens up. They can "tune" the
drum by loosening the leather strip and retying it. I agree with Judy
you should try to stay somewhat authentic; buy some chamois cloths at an
auto parts store (used for cleaning cars). You'll at least have the
look of leather. They're pretty tough cloths, so you may even be able
to dampen it before you stretch it across the can (but experiment first
before you do it with the kids).

Maggie