Find Lesson Plans on! GettyGames

Re: [teacherartexchange] making drums

From: Judy Decker (judy.decker_at_TeacherArtExchange)
Date: Mon Nov 14 2005 - 05:35:17 PST

Hi Jeannette and all,

I would try to make them as authentic as possible. I know you can't
get goat skin or calf skin to stretch over them - but I think the
rubber is doable. You will have to try a sample (I agree the glue will
not hold - Hot glue tends to op off in time).

Get some real leather lacing from a craft store (or even that cheap
plastic lacing).
Put holes in the perimeter of the circles (one circle cut larger for
top and bottom of can). Be sure the holes are not too close to the
edge or the lacing will pull them out. Get someone to help hold the
rubber in place while you lace the drum head.
See a sample drum on this page - scroll down (Taos drum):

Here is a simplified drum using parchment paper..... How about trying
out the steel drum idea on this page? You will probably need a ball
pein hammer (hammer with rounded end) to shape the drum head (coffee
can bottom).

How about trying to make this African Style drum?
The rubber is stretched inside an embroidery hoop

I found many more more drum How tos online - found a bunch last year
too for a member to make drums in art to represent various cultures
but the lessons were never done.....

I know that you will submit something. Art and Music connections are
so important.

Your older students might even like to make a Udu drum (ceramic drum).
Links listed under Music.

Judy Decker

On 11/14/05, Jeannette Anthos - JHH <> wrote:
> Hello all!
> I learned about making drums at the fall GAEA conference, using a big metal can (like a coffee can, but can also get them from school cafeteria) and scrap tire rubber (I am planning on doing this for "the sound of art")

To unsubscribe go to