Find Lesson Plans on! GettyGames

[teacherartexchange] Official Bookbinding Definition of "Tip In"

From: Judy Decker (judy.decker_at_TeacherArtExchange)
Date: Sun Nov 13 2005 - 10:28:46 PST

Greetings Art Educators,

I couldn't find quickly the source I found last summer that described
the process of Tip-in in bookbinding and book preservation...but here
are two definitions that show the source of this idea coming from

Thin line of adhesive is applied along the edge of a leaf (usually
along the binding edge), and the leaf is tipped onto another leaf
(usually at the binding edge). (LBI Standard, Glossary, p.17)

tip on, tip in, tip up
To incorporate a single sheet, plate, endpaper or section into a book
by applying a narrow strip of adhesive to its back margin and sticking
it to the back edge of a section.

Here is a repair method given for tipping in:
More methods for Book binding:

Our method of tipping in is not as complicated as the techniques above.

Hope this info is useful to you.

Judy Decker
Incredible Art Department
Incredible Art Resources