[teacherartexchange] Official Bookbinding Definition of "Tip In"

---------

From: Judy Decker (judy.decker_at_TeacherArtExchange)
Date: Sun Nov 13 2005 - 10:28:46 PST

Greetings Art Educators,

I couldn't find quickly the source I found last summer that described
the process of Tip-in in bookbinding and book preservation...but here
are two definitions that show the source of this idea coming from
bookbinding.

Tip-in http://www.uflib.ufl.edu/preserve/binding/glossary.htm
Thin line of adhesive is applied along the edge of a leaf (usually
along the binding edge), and the leaf is tipped onto another leaf
(usually at the binding edge). (LBI Standard, Glossary, p.17)

tip on, tip in, tip up http://www.redmark.co.nz/glt-z.htm
To incorporate a single sheet, plate, endpaper or section into a book
by applying a narrow strip of adhesive to its back margin and sticking
it to the back edge of a section.

Here is a repair method given for tipping in:
http://www.dartmouth.edu/~preserve/repair/html/tipsingle.htm
More methods for Book binding:
http://www.lib.rochester.edu/index.cfm?PAGE=3242

Our method of tipping in is not as complicated as the techniques above.

Hope this info is useful to you.

Judy Decker
Incredible Art Department
http://www.princetonol.com/groups/iad/