[teacherartexchange] Altered Book - Tip In resources/links

---------

From: Judy Decker (judy.decker_at_TeacherArtExchange)
Date: Sun Nov 13 2005 - 08:04:00 PST

Greetings Art Educators,

Many members ask me "What is a Tip In?" and "How do I make them?"

I thought I would do some surfing for some ideas for you.

Here is the lesson plan for Altered Books - you will find links to
many great works:
http://www.princetonol.com/groups/iad/lessons/middle/Linda-books.htm

I think a Tip In swap is VERY doable with students. You could do a ten
for ten swap (or any number you choose - maybe try a three for three
your first try at it?). Come up with some random method of assigning
names to students for the swap (I wouldn't let them pick or some
students may get left out - you don't want the "getting picked last"
that happens so often with kids)

Here are some links to some Tip Ins (get ideas by looking at the spreads, too)

http://www.outsidethemargins.com/ab.html

http://www.alacarteartstamps.com/personal_gallery.htm

http://www.ingriddijkers.com/galleryaltbookspage4.html (look at the
other galleries too - High School students might even want to consider
using the band saw to cut their books into an interesting shape - See
the Butterfly shaped books and house shaped book)

http://www.jenminnis.com/gallery/tipins (showing the theme Blue
http://www.jenminnis.com/gallery/tipins?page=2

Here is Cynthia Gaub's site (Cynthia is a list member)
http://sheba-kitty-productions.com/cgi-bin/album.pl?album=books;photo_height=200

Lisa Vollrath has lots of How to's:
http://www.lisavollrath.com/articles/#alteredbooks
http://www.lisavollrath.com/

Tip-In defined:
http://alteredsilver.blogspirit.com/list/silver_s_glossary/tip-in.html
(click on more info, too - http://www.altered-book.com/tipin.html)

Tip In pages http://scrappingnstyle.com/articles/august/altered_art.htm

"Tip in pages: Tip in pages are not created directly in your book.
They are usually swapped and added into an individuals book after
receiving them. They are generally 5 X 8 and the artist leaves about
a inch where the gutter of the book would be. When you receive a
tip-in page, you open your book and cut 2 pages out of it about to
inches from the gutter. Then you glue the inside of each page, slide
your tip-in page into the space that has the glue and sandwich it in
between. Now you have a new page to your altered book! These are a
great way to share end enjoy another's work without the risk of
sending your whole book through the mail as you would do in a round
robin." By Laurianna Murray

Note - we have been making ours 5.5 x 8.5 (with the inside 1/2" where
the gutter would be - so finished artwork is basically 5 x 8.5 -
although most do the art right up to the edges being careful that the
main part of the design is away from the gutter). Current group has
done an inside spread 11 x 8.5 - leaving the back sides plain - or
doing something simple on back side.

These resources should get your started. Be sure to check out the Art
Zine link on the Altered Book lesson - lots of tips on how to do
transfers. Beth Cote has how to's in her books and videos. Many have
used her book with students. I have seen two of her videos, but not
the book.

Regards,

Judy Decker
Incredible Art Department