[teacherartexchange] 5 Minute Museum - not your usual "in the style of" lesson

---------

From: Judy Decker (judy.decker_at_TeacherArtExchange)
Date: Fri Nov 11 2005 - 07:06:57 PST

Greetings Art Educators,

Kathy Douglas shared her Five Minute Museum with me. She has written
it up on her blog:
http://tabchoiceteaching.blogspot.com/
She has her students paint BIG - this is doable since she only has a
few students painting at any one time. I really like that she used a
student example in her Five Minute Museum one week (see photo of
Abstract work - also could be used for Non-objective).

Kathy's Five Minute Museum is a way to present some art history
without overwhelming students with details - and not forcing them to
do one "in the style" of work. Students are inspired by the works but
are creating paintings in their OWN style. They are focusing more on
how the artist gets ideas than trying to copy a style.

What if when you do still life, you put up a several different styles
and artists? Several different artists and approaches for your
portrait lessons? Note: Kathy teaches Choice, so doesn't lock her
students into just still life or just portrait. I am just showing how
you might be able to integrate the Five Minute Museum with your
existing lesson plans.

You will no longer do just Van Gogh sunflowers - but will also show
Georgia O'Keeffe's sunflower ("Sunflower for Maggie" is one of them)
and Gaugin's sunflowers..... Monet's Bouquet of Sunflowers and
Matisse's Vase of Sunflowers. There are many ways to paint a
sunflower.

See if this take you to the Sunflower list:
http://www.artcyclopedia.com/scripts/tsearch.pl?t=sunflowers&type=2

Thanks for sharing this idea with me, Kathy. With your permission, I
will summarize it on IAD (sometime).

Regards,

Judy Decker
Incredible Art Department