[teacherartexchange] Poetry Formulas

---------

From: M. Austin (whest177_at_TeacherArtExchange)
Date: Thu Nov 10 2005 - 18:54:37 PST

I found my book with "formulas". Some are well known, others were new to me.
I'm including them all since they may spark an idea with someone. :-)

* Cinquain - poem consisting of five lines, and each line has a mandatory
purpose and number of syllables: 1) the title in two syllables, 2) a
description of the title in four syllables, 3) a description of action in
six syllables, 4) a description of a feeling in eight syllables, and 5)
another word for the title in two syllables.
    example: Forests
                    Graceful, growing
                    Climbing among clouds
                    Calmly awaiting the sunrise
                    Alive

* Diamante - poems are diamond shaped and consist of seven lines that follow
the following pattern:
                    noun
            adjective adjective
       participle participle participle
            noun noun noun noun
       participle participle participle
            adjective adjective
                    noun

    example: seed
                small buried
        growing breathing living
    protection oxygen shade habitat
        dying rotting crumbling
                moist rich
                    soil

* Acrostic - poetry in which the first letter in each line, when read
vertically, spells out the name of somthing or conveys some other kind of
message
       example: Towering
                       Reaching
                       Extending
                       Embracing the sky

* Windspark - poem has five lines with the following pattern: 1) "I
dreamed", 2) "I was..."(something or someone), 3) where, 4) an action and 5)
how
        example:
                    I dreamed
                    I was a tree
                    On a hillside
                    Playing with the wind
                    Joyfully

These are some of my favorites. There is no rule that says you can't alter
poetry formulas, change them to fit your needs, interests, or intent.
~Michal
K-12 Kansas Art Teacher
http://www.geocities.com/theartkids