Re: [teacherartexchange] Poetry in the Art Room

---------

From: ceastman (ceastman_at_TeacherArtExchange)
Date: Wed Nov 09 2005 - 16:14:55 PST

hi poetry lovers,
i did a fall leaf printing project with 3rd graders a few years ago
based on the japanese "flowering cherry with poem slips" screen. view
this image at
        http://www.artinstituteshop.org/item.asp?productID=526
  we rolled gold tempera paint onto a large piece of red bulletin board
paper and then painted a gnarly tree trunk and branches on that. the
kids printed red, orange and yellow maple leaves on the branches. then
they wrote haiku about autumn on slips of paper and attached these to
the tree. you really have to see the above image to get the idea.
somewhere i read that the japanese aristocracy would collect poems
relating to the seasons and display them on screens such as this one. i
believe there is a fall companion screen to this spring one. maybe
someone who visits chicago often has seen it?
linda in michigan