RE: [teacherartexchange] Poetry in the Art Room

---------

From: familyerickson (familyerickson_at_TeacherArtExchange)
Date: Wed Nov 09 2005 - 15:44:14 PST

Bunki and Michal,
I did haikus and cinquains with my 5th graders in response to their metal
repousee.
Most of them chose to do the haiku as they had written one previously in
class and felt comfortable with them.
They turned out very well. They wrote on notebook paper and I approved
them with a check mark. Tomorrow they will type them up in their computer
class. I mounted the metal on a small piece of white construct paper then
on 12 x 18 black paper--will then mount the poems (on the white typing
paper) below on top of the black.

The most rewarding part was that a girl who is not often
successful(artistically or academically) did a beautiful rather abstract
puffed butterfly in metal. She wrote a lovely very sensitive poem. It
thrills me when I provide a format that gives that unsuccessful child a
chance to shine.
Thanks for the idea Michal!!

Cindy

Formula for Haiku
"Title"
Line 1 7 syllables
Line 2 5 syllables
Line 3 7 syllables

Your Name

Here is a cool website from Diane Coluzzi at Bishop Fenwick HS who uses
poetry in her French II class:
http://www.fenwick.org/bishopfenwick.aspx?pgID=1074