Re:[teacherartexchange] pug mill--help!

---------

From: Sidnie Miller (smiller_at_TeacherArtExchange)
Date: Wed Nov 09 2005 - 12:48:29 PST

I'm looking for information on buying a pug mill. I see a variety of mills in catalogs--Some have a huge output which I wouldn't need. I would like to make my own clay (90 kids/day ) with bags of dry clay--and also recycle dried out clay that we have used and discarded before firing. I think I know that the function of a pug mill is just to throw all kinds of clay and some water into the hopper and turn it on and then nice, mixed up clay comes out the end and is bagged. Am I correct?

  I see that some also de-air the clay so that wedging isn't necessary. Is this a desirable thing to pay a lot more for?
  I always have kids wedge the clay we buy pre-moistened. Has it been de-aired?

 Do any of you have a supplier near Nevada that you would recommend, as opposed to using the Nasco catalogs etc.

   Is this a reasonable thing to buy considering it costs $3000 or so? I'm spending around $3800/year on clay, pre-moistened and bagged. I drive to Salt Lake City to pick it up to avoid shipping charges.

  What about cleaning it out?? If you only use it once a month--do you have to take it apart and clean it every time or can you just seal up the ends and keep moist clay in there?

What about dust and safety precautions??

I would appreciate anything you can do to help me. Sid