RE: [teacherartexchange] Poetry in the Art Room

---------

From: Sears, Ellen (ESears_at_TeacherArtExchange)
Date: Tue Nov 08 2005 - 06:15:32 PST

I really don't use formulas in with poetry. I really like free verse and
focus on the poetic language, sensory images and strong verbs.

This is a basic guide I use with the kids -

A proficient poem...

Has a focus and a purpose (paints a picture, recreates a feeling, tells a
story, captures a moment, etc.)
Should not sacrifice meaning for rhyme
Includes many sensory images (things for the reader to see, hear, feel,
taste, or smell)
Uses strong verbs and precise nouns
Uses poetic language - similes and metaphors
Uses line breaks and punctuation effectively

We are just working up to our large self-portraits. I will have the kids do
some kind of self-portrait with items (I have had collage boxes, slide
pockets, totems, and 'packaged identities' - the last two are from the
'synectic' books) and the part of the evaluation is a poem. I save those
for their graduation and we have a booklet with all of their poems to hand
out.

I am using George Ella Lyon's book "Where I'm From" with my language arts
classes... A poem based on hers would be great.. examples:

Collaborative poem:
http://www.carts.org/staff_poem2.html

student examples:
http://www.studyguide.org/where_I'm_from_poem.htm

I am going to one of her workshops this Friday - I'll share information -

Ellen