[teacherartexchange] "What do teachers make?"

---------

From: Judy Decker (judy.decker_at_TeacherArtExchange)
Date: Tue Nov 08 2005 - 05:45:44 PST

Greetings Art Educators,

This is a "oldie but goodie". My husband forwarded it to me (received
from their "tech guy").

WHAT DO TEACHERS MAKE?

The dinner guests were sitting around the table discussing life. One
man, a CEO, decided to explain the problem with education.

He argued, "What's a kid going to learn from someone who decided his
best option in life was to become a teacher?" He reminded the other
dinner guests what they say about teachers:" Those who can, do. Those
who can't, teach." To stress his point he said to another guest,
"You're a teacher, Susan. Be honest. What do you make?"

Susan, who had a reputation for honesty and frankness replied, "You
want to know what I make? I make kids work harder than they ever
thought they could. I make a C+ feel like the winner of the
Congressional Medal of Honor. I make kids sit through 40 minutes of
study hall in absolute silence". "You want to know what I make? I make
kids wonder. I make them question. I make them criticize. I make them
apologize and mean it. I make them write. I make them read, read,
read. I make them show all their work in math and perfect their final
drafts in English. I make them understand that, if you have the brains
and follow your heart, and if someone ever tries to judge you by what
you make, you must pay no attention because they just didn't learn."

Susan paused and then continued. "You want to know what I make? I MAKE
A DIFFERENCE. What do you make?"

I found this all over the Internet - no credit is given to who is the author.

Pat yourself on the back today..... Three cheers for you for deciding
to make a difference and be an art teacher - the most important of
all. You make them appreciate and see beauty in all that God and man
has made.

Regards,

Judy Decker

--