Re: [teacherartexchange] Poetry in the Art Room

---------

From: M. Austin (whest177_at_TeacherArtExchange)
Date: Mon Nov 07 2005 - 18:02:48 PST

I had planned on grabbing some of my poetry templates at school but didn't
have time to pull them. I like to use formulas that allow all students to
have some measure of success. One format that I used was to choose a topic
and students had to write 30 words describing that object (we used "Tree").
Then those words are used in the form of that object. I also like the one
(sorry - don't know the name)

Noun
Adverb Adverb
Adjective Adjective Adjective Adjective
Adverb Adverb
Noun

Found poetry is fun - give each student a page of text (I tear pages out of
an old book). Students find phrases that fit together - they naturally flow.
I have also given students "starters" for them to complete - "The beauty of
life...." "Art calms the soul when...", etc. These are all done with middle
& high school students.
~Michal
K-12 Kansas Art Teacher
http://www.geocities.com/theartkids