[teacherartexchange] flex cam

---------

From: Jeannette Anthos - JHH (JAnthos_at_TeacherArtExchange)
Date: Mon Nov 07 2005 - 04:53:54 PST

I use a variety of technology things in my art room. However, the number one thing for me is something called the Flex Cam.  (I presented this in Denver at the conference in 04) It has been out for a long time-check with you tech or science dept. Chances are your school has one that is not being used. That was the case here. Ok, so now you're wondering---what is it?
It's amazing! It connects to your TV using a regular S video cable (like a VCR, etc.)
It allows you to give demos to your class using the TV. I don't have a "demo table"/ The flex cam maximizes instructional time, b/c you don't have to waste time with students getting out of their seats, the "I can't see's", etc.
PLUS you can use it to show images out of books, etc.
For instance-in demonstrating a pinch pot. The kids can see how I start, and how we actually "pinch" the pot. They all have the benefit of viewing it from the same vantage point-I do this with kindergartners and they are SO SUCCESSFUL in creating their pots. I have also put images under there, and when we are "art detectives" looking for clues in the artwork, I can even draw on the TV (using a dry erase marker)
You can also use it to demo oil pastels, papier mache, paint, etc.
Sometimes, if we have t time, some students get to be an "art TV star", and we put their artwork under the camera to see. They get SO EXCITED when this happens.
The kids are real good about leaving it alone. They get in BIG trouble if they touch or play with it (when they line up to leave, the stand right beside it)
, visit http://www.microscopesandmore.com/flexcam.asp
To see what it looks like
You want the "document flexcam" or the flexcam icam"
Flexcam has audio, doesn't connect to microscope, icam does connect to microscope but no audio
You can talk to Don Munns-he's GREAT to work with!

If you have any more questions about it-email me off list & we can chat.

Thanks!
Jeannette Anthos, M.A.Ed
Art Educator
GAEA Elementary Division Director
J. H. House Elementary School
2930 Hwy 20 North
Conyers, GA 30012
770-483-9504
Fax: 770-483-0397
www.artsonia.com/jhhouse1
http://jhh.blogs.com/anthos/

"To live a creative life, we must lose our fear of being wrong."
-Joseph Chilton Pearce