Re: [teacherartexchange] Value and colored pencil handout info request

---------

From: Diane C. Gregory (dianegregory_at_TeacherArtExchange)
Date: Sun Nov 06 2005 - 13:12:47 PST

Hi Stacie,

Perhaps you could allow them to interweave two different colors with the cross
hatching to build up a rich complementary surface. To me the interplay of two
or three colors in the cross hatching is visually exciting and motivating.
Also for those students who do not seem to have the diligence and patient work
ethic required you might suggest that they try a variety of different drawing
techniques such as hatching, pointilism, blending, toning. I often like to
tone an area with powder color pencil. This requires taking a piece of sand
paper and sanding the color pencil over an area and then drawing back into it
with unsandpapered color pencil. Also, suggest they experiment on pieces of
paper to invent their own processes of blending using a multiple combination
approach. I also like to do rubbings in areas where I want texture and value.

Alas, this is a challenging subject. I applaud your diligent efforts.

Good luck!

--
Dr. Diane C. Gregory
Director, Undergraduate & Graduate