[teacherartexchange] Poetry in the Art Room

---------

From: Tammy Willis (tmwillis72_at_TeacherArtExchange)
Date: Sat Nov 05 2005 - 05:46:50 PST

My school is a CETA (Changing Education through the arts) school. We work
with the Kennedy center. We go to the Kennedy center and take workshops on
how to integrate the arts into the curriculum. This is geared towards the
classroom teachers, to help them bring more of the arts into their rooms. I
go being the visual arts teacher and it is great. I am now in the advanced
level and we are studying poetry writing.

The presenter talked about the words as 'bait" and writing poetry as going
fishing. If the first sets of words aren't working, throw them back and get
new ones.
He gave us a list of words that were in groups of 4.
For example:
Sun
Beauty
Peaceful
Long

Then the kids use those words to create their poem. If they can not get that
group of words to work they can pick a new group. He also said that it is
hard to rhyme a poem so for the kids not to feel the need to rhyme every
word. When I get some time I will go through the handout more and send some
of the information.

Tammy