Re: [teacherartexchange] No Art Room

---------

From: Diane C. Gregory (dianegregory_at_TeacherArtExchange)
Date: Fri Nov 04 2005 - 16:48:51 PST

Most state art education organizations do pay the keynote speaker and their
expenses. Most do not pay people who present workshops, unless this is an
invited keynote workshop. I was paid when I delivered the keynote at an
Arizona conference several years ago. However, it really only covered my
expenses.

I agree with Michal, that the presenter can usually charge a workshop fee to
recoup expenses. However, the fee is encouraged to be as low as possible and
so in reality some of the expenses are not paid. We do need to be more
sensitive to this especially for retired teachers or anyone for that matter.

It is strange though that professional in education means we don't pay for the
information, but in business, professional means we do pay. Go figure. There
is a double standard between education and business. If you look at sports you
see the same thing. When athletes are in College they are not paid. When they
graduate and sign a contract they are paid thousands of dollars.

Diane