Re: [teacherartexchange] No Art Room

---------

From: Diane C. Gregory (dianegregory_at_TeacherArtExchange)
Date: Fri Nov 04 2005 - 16:36:32 PST

Some state conferences take care of any expenses the presenter encures by
allowing the presenter to charge a reasonable fee. In Texas we have paid
workshops and the expenses and supplies provided are paid for with this fee for
the most part. I believe the NAEA convention does the same thing.

I know whenever I have presented at state and national conferences and made
presentations that were not workshop oriented, I often had to pay for some fees
myself, part of hotel expenses, part of meals, part of travel expenses, part of
copying, slides/transparencies, etc. It would sometimes add up to $500. This is
generally an expectation for university professors and during lean times such as
these, many Art Departments simply do not have the funds to pay for these things
or reimburse faculty members. The faculty member is obligated to come up with
the money because these kinds of things are expected and faculty members are
evaluated by the number/quality of presentations, articles, books, etc. This
is a very poor and unprofessional practice that occurs in education. This does
not happen in business.

There are many inequities in Education and it seems to be getting worse, rather
than better.

Many of us are committed to what we do, like Woody and so we continue to shell
out the extra funds needed to do what we love and like to do. That is the
nature of dedicated teachers like Woody and the people on this list.

No doubt Judy Decker spends some of her own money to run the Incredible Art
Department which is an invaluable service to our profession.

I don't know what the answer is. However, we should not feel quilty about being
paid and I think it is important to raise this issue. Business professionals do
and so should we.

Diane