Re: [teacherartexchange] Writing in the Art Room

---------

From: M. Austin (whest177_at_TeacherArtExchange)
Date: Thu Nov 03 2005 - 19:09:34 PST

With elementary students I have done things such as have students list as
many things as they see with paintings with several objects such as "Sunday
Afternoon in the Park". I usually give them a short time frame, such as 2 or
3 minutes. Then they write a story using the list of items they wrote down.

With older students we twitter - a combination of drawing & writing done in
a 10 minute time span where the entire page must be filled using a given
concept or word. This is very effective for helping students learn to fill
up the entire space given. I have also had them do a variety of poems - I
like poetry that has formulas that allow all students to be successful.
Written responses to paintings is a given in my room, as well as
self-critiques on projects before they are handed in. Another thing I have
done is to have students write a letter to a friend telling them about an
artwork they have done, ala VanGogh.
~Michal
K-12 Kansas Art Teacher
http://www.geocities.com/theartkids