[teacherartexchange] writing in the art room

---------

From: Sears, Ellen (ESears_at_TeacherArtExchange)
Date: Thu Nov 03 2005 - 11:45:12 PST

I have 7th grade language arts this year - in addition to art. Most of our
writing is image based.
I also did a personal narrative lesson with memory paintings in 4th grade,
dissected paintings to 'discover' the elements of writing... then put the
elements back together to create their memory painting.

Our state assesses writing portfolios in the 4th, 7th and 12th grades.
There are guidelines for the entries, as well as tons of training that goes
with it. I am also a writing mentor for our school, so I have chances to
paint pictures with words more than others.

I am concentrating on the literary pieces for my 7th graders (poetry/short
stories) and we use my prints for figurative language lessons.

I have lots of mini-lessons that could be used in classes - describe the
color of red was the last one we did... wonderful imagery, and a great
b-board with about 100 paint chips and the student writing. (The stain on
your tongue when you reach the Tootsie Roll middle)

We also pull prints to make inferences and deductive reasoning - then use
what we know to write short stories.

My unit assessments are writings that describe, analyze and reflect (heh -
if it was good enough for Nat'l Boards - it is good enough for me.)

Also transactive writing based on articles from the paper - other
publications.

Starting illustrated short stories - I think some one on this list shared
illustrated writing a couple of months ago. I got my examples from NPR and
the book "Don't Trip Over the Lunch Lady" - it has a cute one.

Scholastics has just started a web site for writing lessons - goes with
their awards:

http://teacher.scholastic.com/writeit/

Ellen