Find Lesson Plans on! GettyGames

Ben Jones images - for COOL sculpture lesson (faces and hand/arm casts)

From: Judith Decker (jdecker4art_at_TeacherArtExchange)
Date: Tue Nov 30 2004 - 11:21:48 PST

Greetings Art Educators,

Sara Wren has found the images online for Ben Jones
arms and face casts...these are cast plaster - painted
black then embellished with cultural motif (African
inspired - combined with contemporary symbolism -

You can have your kiddies do plaster gauze casts...or
get bold and try the flex wax or moulage stuff. Paint
a solid color base coat then go to town with paints -
paint markers... permanent markers even work great on
works you paint white or a very light color.

I will be writing up a formal lesson plan for this in
time...but for now - tweak Michael Gerrish's lesson...
I am wondering if Ben's work may have inspired
Michael? Michael is from New Jersey and has seen this
installation. The museum would not send me an image
for the lesson plan. They will not get a Christmas
card from me this year (grin). When I put a thumbnail
from one of these sites I will add a note of apology
that copyright infringement is not intended. The
museum has not been too helpful yet in providng me an
address to contact Ben Jones - to see if he had a
photo of a similar work.

Michael's Lesson it anything you
want if "tattoo" bothers you.

Note...Lima City Schools did hands last year -- I am
certain they used Ben Jones for inspiration. They had
a few on display in the art show.

Someday I get the book from the library that has this
image, too - so I can tell you more about it.

Judy Decker

Incredible Art Department
Incredible Art Resources

Do you Yahoo!?