Re: train wrecks

---------

From: Dave Haines (dhaines_at_TeacherArtExchange)
Date: Tue Nov 30 2004 - 08:43:36 PST

OK, lunch break-
Quickly---pick a card, any card (but only Face Cards)...Jack, King, Queen...Goal- Become aware of the variety of designs in this 'common subject.'
Students get a photocopy enlargement as their subject. We crop and draw/enlarge (16-Block Grid) at least half (or more) of the inside area of the card (excluding the margin area of the card. We scale up a 'working drawing' on newsprint (apporx height 14-16 inches, then scale to figure out the width).
Do an accurate observation drawing, noting/recording every detail...symmetrical shapes are drawn by half, then flipped and traced (as in the Heart, Spade, etc.) These are doe as individual drawings on copy paper, then traced onto the working drawing.
The completed w-drawing is transferred onto white drawing paper (80lb will do).
This is where changes can take place. I've done this as a entry shading project where all that is done is value substitution for color (using a 5-step value scale as a guide)...White areas are left white, Yellow is #1 Gray Lt. Gray, Red-Med. #2 Gray, Blue (if present) is #3 Dk Gray and Black is, you guessed it BLACK! Even, flat, solid value application is stressed (matching value areas...all yellow/lt. grays consistent, etc). Use 'cover sheets' while working to avoid smearing the work.
However, I now do this project differently to add some creative elements and a bit of color too. I'll post more if you want.