African American Artist to use with Michael's "tattoo" sculpture lesson

---------

From: Judith Decker (jdecker4art_at_TeacherArtExchange)
Date: Sun Nov 28 2004 - 13:54:42 PST

Dear Art Educators,

I found the name of the artist who did the body cast
arms and faces..YEAH!
Here is an image of cast faces alone...Painted black
then filled with pattern. Acrylic on plaster.
Five Black Faces (life size - 8 1/2" high).
http://www.princetonol.com/groups/iad/Files/jones.jpg
I have not found the exact image - but now at least
know who I am looking for. His name is Ben Jones (b.
1942).

Michael Gerrish had students cast their arm - link on
IAD (from Middle School lesson page). I made the
suggestion of doing your own "installation piece".
Have half of the students do faces and half do arms
maybe. Assign cultures to represent - or let them
choose and pair up - or do their own cultural
background - whatever works for you.

I will get permission from Scholastic Art to put image
on a lesson page on IAD. Michael has given me
permission to put his lesson into lesson plan form
linking to his page.... I just need someone to try it
now (smile)... and I will do the work using YOUR
student art.

Here is what Scholastic Art Magizine had to say:

" In works like Five Black Faces, sculptor Ben Jones
makes plaster casts of body parts, then decorates them
as if prepairing them for a tribal ritual. In this
sculpture, brightly colored masks appear to cover the
features of five bLAck heads. Jones uses a series of
marks based on patterns used for African masks. This
artist'S use of comtemporary symbols, graffitilike
lines, and modern fluorescent colors emphasizes the
connection between African past and today's American
culture." (March 1998)

I couldn't find any of Jones' work online (except one
image from Artcyclopedia).

Regards,

Judy Decker

P.S. Michael Gerrish, I'm doing cartwheels now
(tee-hee)....I didn't hear from the museum yet.