Re: VERY COOL! "Moveable Murals" Student life size portraits

---------

From: Ann Ayers (art304_at_TeacherArtExchange)
Date: Sun Nov 28 2004 - 13:53:25 PST

> Very cool, indeed! I am also inspired to try this with my eighth
> grade!

Be careful, if you do this! Last year, we had the kids do life-size
self portraits, using foamboard. We took digital photos of the
students in different poses, "posterized" them in Photoshop (this is a
way to simplify the image by breaking down the values), printed the
simplified images on transparencies, and used an overhead projector to
enlarge to life-size. The students then painted themselves, using gray
tones & black and we cut them out. They were stunning! We had over 50
of these images and made "groupings" of them all over the school,
changing them at whim. When we had our dedication, the cut-outs were
prominently featured. BUT, now, no one wants to let them go! The
administration keeps asking for more and more - it's like a disease!!
We're sooooo sick of these - gotta come up with a new idea that will
have just as much of an impact! They were fun, but, like I said, we're
really tired of them...
ann

---