Re: Education - something to be thankful for

---------

From: Melissa Enderle (melissa_at_TeacherArtExchange)
Date: Fri Nov 26 2004 - 10:15:38 PST

Dear Elizabeth (and others interested in international teaching)

I was actually teaching in Tunisia before, and before that in Mali. I have
never been in Morocco, but would like to visit there. I got my jobs by going
to an international teaching fair - first times to the University of
Northern Iowa fair and last February to the ISS fair in New York. In a few
stressful days (lots of interviews, lots of quick decisions to make) you
interview for (and hopefully are offered) jobs in international schools all
over the world. It does mean that you become a global nomad, but the
experiences you get living in different countries are well worth it.
Depending on the school (and country), they pay for your airfare at the end
and beginning (and some like my current one pay for a return trip to the US
each year), housing, salary, and a decent benefits package. The schools I
have been at have been very international with parents (and therefore kids)
who value education. And teacher's conferences are held in great places
(depending on the continent/region) such as Rome, Seville, Vienna, etc.
Having said all that, it is hard work - long hours, high expectations, etc.
Plus, you have to deal with the "quirks" of the country - electricity,
water, and other shortages, language challenges, new and unfamiliar culture,
and being away from family.
I don't envision myself teaching in the States right now with the current
situation of education. When I do decide to move back though, I'll have a
very multi-cultural apartment, filled with artwork and music from my stays.

If you are at all thinking of international teaching, let me know and I'll
help you out as much as I can.

Melissa