Re: Another National Board Teacher

---------

From: Elizabeth Heisey (eheisey_at_TeacherArtExchange)
Date: Fri Nov 26 2004 - 06:21:47 PST

On Nov 25, 2004, at 3:46 PM, vranck0602@aol.com wrote:

> Just out of curiosity, what is involved with getting a national
> certification? I am just finishing my masters in curriculum,
> instruction and assessment,

I had gotten my masters in teaching and learning just before doing NB,
and it really helped, I thought.
I am pretty enthusiastic about NB and would be happy to answer specific
questions offline...Basically it was the first time anyone held me
accountable for in depth, diverse, complementary aspects of various
parts of my teaching. Essentially, you offer what amounts to legal
proof for all you do as a teacher--that truly enhances student
achievement. But they took me to a whole other level of accountability
for these diverse aspects....Once you achieve that level it is easy to
work close to that level on an everyday basis. Harrowing, but truly
amazing. To find out if it is for you, got their website
nbpts.org
More specifically, you could scroll down on this page
http://www.nbpts.org/candidates/guide/whichcert/
05EarlyAdolescence2004.html
and download the 105-page booklet of standards for Early Adolescent /
Young Adult teachers of art. This standards book is well worth a good
read for any secondary art teacher. It taught me what I should really
be doing with my teaching. Moreover, if you decide to do National
Boards, this is your first assignment--read the standards book and
record your reflections of it in your own situation. There--I've sort
of jump-started you on the process.
Beth, NB '03

---