Re: Teaching kids to center on the wheel

---------

From: gail kizis (smokealarm7_at_TeacherArtExchange)
Date: Wed Nov 24 2004 - 22:58:26 PST

Happy Thanksgiving to All,
I am in the middle of teaching a senior to work on the wheel.
He cannot seem to understand how to center no matter how many times i show
him and talk to him about the process.
I am wondering what yall say to help kids learn this difficult skill.
So far we have worked on locking elbows in to center of body, putting nose
over center of wheel, only adding a few drops of water to aid in sliding
hands over the clay, slowing down the wheel speed at first.

any other "dialogue" yall use to help students with this?
maybe i am just not saying the right things . . .

have a nice holiday,
nancy in north texas